Sunday 17 August 2014

Tiramisu Torte

I'm really enjoying challenging myself with my Sunday bakes and this weekend saw me attempting Annie Bell's Tiramisu Torte and it turned out way better than I expected! I absolutely love tiramisu, whenever I can manage dessert at a restaurant I'll always choose it if it's on the menu, so when I spotted the recipe for a tiramisu torte in the Baking Bible, I decided it would be one of my challenges. My family have just had it for pudding after our Sunday roast and everyone enjoyed it (including my coffee-hating little brother!), so I'm really pleased and very excited to share it with you! 


Ingredients 

For the cake base
50g self-raising flour
50g light muscovado sugar 
50ml vegetable or groundnut oil
1 medium free range egg, separated
1-2tbsp cooled black coffee
1tbsp milk

For the filling
300g dark chocolate (approx. 50% cocoa solids)
4 medium free range eggs
30g golden caster sugar
250g tub of mascarpone 
2tbsp strong black coffee (or kahlúa)

Method

Coffee cake
  1. Preheat your oven to 170ºC and butter a 20cm cake tin (with a removable base).
  2. Sift the flour and the sugar together into a mixing bowl and add the oil (I actually used sunflower oil, which was fine), egg yolk, coffee and milk. Mix everything together until nice and smooth. 
  3. Whisk up your egg white until it is stiff and gently fold it into the cake batter in two goes. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth it out ensuring it covers the base of the tin evenly. 
  4. Bake for 12 minutes: until it is golden on top and coming away from the sides of the tin. Leave it to cool in the tin and make your tiramisu filling. 
Tiramisu filling
  1. Break up your dark chocolate into a heatproof bowl and place over a pan of simmering water. Stir the chocolate as it gently melts and then put to one side to cool. 
  2. Separate your eggs and whisk up the egg whites in a mixing bowl until stiff. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk up the egg yolks with the golden caster sugar until the yolks have gone pale and the consistency is slightly mousse-like. 
  3. Add your mascarpone to the melted chocolate and mix together. Like me, you may have to try very hard to not eat your bowl of mascarpone chocolate... 
  4. Add the chocolate mixture to your egg yolks and gently mix. Finally fold in the egg whites in two goes, followed by your coffee/kahlúa - I used coffee in mine, but if you wanted the alcohol flavour of a tiramisu then I would definitely go for the kahlúa! 
  5. Smooth the chocolate cream over the cooled cake (still in the tin) and decorate it if you like - I quite like the simplistic look, but Annie Bell decorates her torte with crushed edible silver decorations which looks rather pretty.
  6. Chill your torte in the fridge for several hours and when its ready to be served, run a knife around the edge of the torte, remove it from the tin, slice and enjoy!




I have added this recipe to #CookBlogShare with SuperGolden Bakes


1 comment:

  1. This looks unbelievably delicious. All my favourite flavours combined in a dessert. Thank you so much for linking to #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete